GROUP E: “DON’T KNOW” GROUP
This group is patients where the categorization is not clear or where the referring doctor wishes to consider early referral to MSCAT without dwelling on specific investigations or assessment.
There are many additional causes of knee problems that may not fit into the above categories. These include the following:
- Problem joint replacement patients: need trial of physiotherapy, x-ray and refer accordingly.
- Children less than age 16: require paediatric orthopaedic assessment.
- Problems following recent surgery: need management on a case by case basis.
- Patients with cancer.
- Acute injuries: separate trauma management protocol.
- Bursae, lumps and bumps: require individual assessment and treatment.