There are six main rehabilitation phases and example exercises for each phase are given in the sections that follow. Many different exercises are available to achieve the goals and these are tailored to each individual by the physiotherapy team. Various example exercises are outlined in each section.
- Phase 1: Preoperative preparation/operative period.
- Phase 2: Initial Post Op Phase: First 2 weeks.
- Phase 3: Proprioception (sensory awareness) Phase: Weeks 3 – 6.
- Phase 4: Strength Phase: Weeks 6 – 12.
- Phase 5: Early Sport Training: Months 3 – 6.
- Phase 6: Return to Sport: Months 6 – 9.
Specific Follow-up assessment: Outpatient review takes place at the following times and the goals for those stages are detailed in the guidelines:
- 2 weeks
- 6 weeks
- 3 months
- 6 months
- 1 year